- I certify that I am physically able to participate in Apogaea, Inc. and in any activity or performance associated with it, and have not been advised otherwise by a qualified medical professional.
- I would like to attend the event being hosted by Apogaea Inc. (the “event”). I understand that this is a LEAVE NO TRACE, pack-it-in, pack-it-OUT Event. I agree to stay within all marked boundaries at all times and understand that leaving the marked boundaries of the event is grounds for immediate removal from the event. I agree to take personal responsibility for my actions or inaction and safety, as well as responsibility for any minors I am bringing, at all times. I understand that while Apogaea Inc. has put in a number of measures to ensure that the event is safe for everyone, I also understand certain risks are present at the Event, including (but not limited to): hazardous terrain, including water features, and low visibility at night; high altitude; wild and domestic animals; art and activities of other event participants; interactive art and activities which may be hazardous or present physical challenges and the risk of injury; athletic contests and physical challenges which present inherent risks; lack of supervision, security, and onsite police; violent or criminal conduct by event participants; cold climate and weather; mountain terrain; equipment and infrastructure constructed by other Event attendees; limited supervision; the presence (but NOT the sale) of alcohol; the availability (or lack thereof) of medical facilities and/or assistance; use of fire; and possible adult themes and/or nudity. I have been informed of these risks and understand all rules of participation in the event. I am responsible for reading, understanding and complying with all signage, including instructions (the Survival Guide) provided at the gate or referenced herein, and instructions from Apogaea Rangers or organizers; and I understand that I must at all times avoid wandering away from the designated festival areas. I assume all responsibility for loss or damage to equipment or personal property, and understand that no reimbursement will be made by Apogaea in the event that equipment or personal property is lost, stolen or damaged. I understand that my ticket is a revocable license that may be revoked by Apogaea in the event that I fail to follow any posted instructions or instructions received from designated Apogaea representatives. I appoint Apogaea, Inc. as my representative to take actions necessary to protect my intellectual property or privacy rights, recognizing that Apogaea Inc. has no obligation to take any action whatsoever. I agree that commercial use of recordings and images taken at the Event is prohibited without the prior written consent of Apogaea Inc., and that Apogaea Inc. may use images and recordings from the Event (which may include me) for non-commercial purposes.
RECOGNIZING THESE RISKS, I ASSUME ALL RISKS AND DANGERS ASSOCIATED WITH ATTENDING THE EVENT, I AGREE TO TAKE PART IN THE EVENT AND I SHALL RELEASE, HOLD HARMLESS, DEFEND AND INDEMNIFY APOGAEA INC., ITS AGENTS, EMPLOYEES, OFFICERS, AFFILIATES, VOLUNTEERS, SUCCESSORS AND ASSIGNS, FROM AND AGAINST ANY AND ALL CLAIMS, COUNTERCLAIMS, DEFENSES, SETOFFS, RECOUPMENTS, DEBTS, DEMANDS, CAUSES OF ACTION, SUITS, OBLIGATIONS, LOSSES, COSTS, EXPENSES AND LIABILITIES OF ANY NATURE WHATSOEVER (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ATTORNEYS’ FEES) IN LAW OR IN EQUITY, RELATING TO OR ARISING FROM LOSSES OF, OR DAMAGE TO, PROPERTY AND INJURIES TO, OR DEATH OF, ANY PERSON INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO MYSELF AS WELL AS EMPLOYEES, CONTRACTORS, VOLUNTEERS, INVITEES AND LICENSEES OF APOGAEA INC., REGARDLESS OF WHETHER ARISING DURING OR AFTER MY PARTICIPATION IN THE EVENT, AND WHETHER OR NOT CAUSED BY THE NEGLIGENCE OF APOGAEA INC. . I AGREE TO ALL TERMS OF THIS RELEASE AND UNDERSTAND ITS CONTENTS. I UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT THIS RELEASE, AMONG OTHER THINGS, RELEASES APOGAEA INC. FROM RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY INJURIES OR DEATH TO THE GREATEST EXTENT PERMITTED UNDER COLORADO LAW .. IF PART OF THIS RELEASE IS FOUND TO BE INVALID OR OTHERWISE LIMITED BY APPLICABLE LAW, IT IS MY INTENTION THAT ALL REMAINING PROVISIONS BE INTERPRETED CONSISTENT WITH THE INTENT EXPRESSED IN THIS PARAGRAPH. I VOLUNTARILY HAVE SIGNED MY NAME EVIDENCING MY ACCEPTANCE OF THE ABOVE PROVISIONS. IF APPLICABLE (IF PARTICIPANT IS UNDER 18), MY PARENT OR LEGAL GUARDIAN GRANTS PERMISSION FOR ME TO TAKE PART IN THE ACTIVITY, AND HAS INDICATED THEIR PERMISSION BY SIGNING ON THE NEXT PAGE.
OTHER THAN FOR BREACH OF SECTION 4, NEITHER PARTY IS LIABLE TO THE OTHER PARTY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL, SPECIAL, INDIRECT, OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES ARISING OUT OR IN CONNECTION WITH THIS AGREEMENT, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, LOST PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN ACTION IN CONTRACT, TORT, STRICT LIABILITY OR NEGLIGENCE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. OTHER THAN FOR BREACH OF SECTION 4, NEITHER PARTY SHALL BE LIABLE TO THE OTHER PARTY FOR DIRECT DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE LESSER OF (1) THE AMOUNT OF FEES PAID BY YOU TO APOGAEA, INC. IN THE TWELVE MONTH PERIOD PRECEDING THE EVENTS GIVING RISE TO SUCH CLAIM; OR (2) FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS.
- I understand that during the Apogaea event, art installations, theme camps, vehicles (including but not limited to ‘mutant vehicles’ and ‘art cars’), events and performances will be held and/or on display and I understand that most of these activities are not owned or operated by Apogaea, Inc. and I assume all risks of injury or death arising from their operation and from my participation in any of these activities.
- Use of Images: I UNDERSTAND AND ACCEPT THAT NO USE OF IMAGES, FILM, OR VIDEO OBTAINED AT THE EVENT MAY BE MADE WITHOUT PRIOR WRITTEN PERMISSION FROM APOGAEA, INC., OTHER THAN PERSONAL USE. I understand that I have no rights to make any non-Personal Use of any image, film, or video footage obtained at the event, and that I cannot sell, transfer, license, sublicense or give my images, footage, film or video obtained at the event to any other party, except for Personal Use, and I agree to inform anyone to whom I give any footage, film, or video that it can only be used for Personal Use. Use in any advertisement or in the title or cover of any publication designed for dissemination to the public (other than blog posts) of images from the Apogaea event, of drawings or representations of the Apogaea sculpture, logos, trademarks and other intellectual property owned or licensed by Apogaea, or of the phrase “Apogaea,” is prohibited without prior written consent of Apogaea, Inc.
“Personal Use” of images, film or video means to share with friends and family, to display on personal websites (as long as your website does not sell any other product or service, and as long as your website does not purport or appear to be an official website Apogaea, Inc.), to display on photosharing websites, and to display at art exhibits or similar exhibits. Social networking sites such as Flickr and Facebook are deemed “Personal Use” only if the display of the images, film or video on these sites are not used for the promotion or distribution of images with the intent to publicly display them beyond one’s immediate network.
I further assign to Apogaea, Inc. a joint ownership in the copyright for images obtained at the event so that in the event any third party displays or disseminates any of my images in a manner not authorized by this agreement, Apogaea, Inc. can enforce against the third party any restrictions concerning use of the images, and I appoint Apogaea, Inc. as my attorney-in-fact to execute any documents necessary to effectuate such assignment. Apogaea, Inc. agrees that it will not utilize this joint ownership to enter into any licensing agreements for the images. Since I understand that, in the absence of written permission from Apogaea, Inc., I have no right under this agreement to sell, transfer, license, sublicense or give any of my images, footage, film or video obtained at the event to any other party, except for Personal Use, in the event that a third party obtains and uses any of my images, footage, film or video for use other than Personal Use without such written permission from Apogaea, Inc., I agree that any permission, license or rights I may have granted this third party is completely void and invalid and that Apogaea, Inc. has the absolute right, as joint copyright owner, to require the third party to cease all use of the images, footage, film or video.
I agree, in the event I post, or allow to be posted, any images (still or video) on a personal website or a website controlled by a third party, that: (1) I will place, or cause to be placed, on any website in which such images are displayed, a notice that the images can be used only for the poster’s personal use and not for any other purpose and that downloading or copying of the images is prohibited, except in accordance with the Creative Commons’s BY-NC-SA license where the licensee agrees to use the image for non-commercial purposes and only for his or her Personal Use (as defined herein); (2) I will not authorize the use of any images under the Creative Commons’ license if the image contains any nudity, partial nudity, or sexually suggestive poses (nudity and partial nudity include any images in which bare breasts, bare buttocks or genitals or genital areas are visible), and Apogaea, Inc., as joint copyright owner, may revoke any Creative Commons license if such license was erroneously placed on the image in violation of these Terms and Conditions; (3) in the event Apogaea, Inc. notifies me that any such images must be removed, for any reason whatsoever in Apogaea, Inc.’s sole discretion, I will promptly remove or cause to be removed those images, and in the event after notification by Apogaea, Inc. any such images are not removed.
The only Creative Commons license Apogaea, Inc. approves for personal use licensing is the Creative Commons BY-NC-SA license, Attribution-Noncommercial- ShareAlike http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/. For full legal code see http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/legalcode. However, as described above, images that contain human nudity, partial nudity or sexually suggestive poses may NOT be licensed in this fashion. Be aware that the use of this license does not supersede these Terms and Conditions nor the responsibility of the photographer/videographer to obtain all necessary permissions from subjects and artists as appropriate.
Apogaea, Inc. forbids the making of private profit from the documentation of nudity at the event when images are presented in a sexual context, and/or without the express written permission of subjects. If you have seen a violation or suspect a problem of this nature, please contact the Rangers at the event or email firstname.lastname@example.org (year-round). Apogaea, Inc. requires any party interested in making a commercial enterprise out of their documentation of the event or distributing footage beyond Personal Use on personal friend/family networks to enter into a written contract with Apogaea, Inc.. Contact email@example.com. for more information on how to register for this permission. Such projects require Apogaea, Inc.’s review and approval prior to commercial distribution.
- I acknowledge that the name “Apogaea” is a trademark owned by the Apogaea, Inc., and that all of Apogaea, Inc.’s logos, trademarks or other intellectual property are owned by Apogaea, Inc., and I understand that the Apogaea, Inc. controls all rights regarding the licensing and reproduction of any imagery recorded at the event. I agree that I will not use the mark “Apogaea,” the logos of Apogaea, or or any other trademark of Burning Man, on any website (except for Personal Use, as described in Paragraph 5) or in any other manner, commercial or otherwise, except for nominative or classic fair use. Apogaea, Inc. generally does permit the use of the mark “Apogaea,” the Apogaea logo, or the design of Black Rock City, without payment of any license fee, on materials that are given away or provided to supporters at any Apogaea, Inc. event (“Gift Materials”), with the following conditions (1) Apogaea, Inc. may, for any reason whatsoever in its discretion, determine that such use is not in keeping with Apogaea, Inc.’s quality control, and if so all such materials shall no longer be utilized; (2) no ungifted Gift Materials may be sold or transferred in exchange for something of value or distributed in any form such that the Gift Materials are likely to be sold or transferred in exchange for something of value.
- I acknowledge that people are using film, video and photographic cameras at the event, and that my image may be captured on film, video or photographs which may subsequently be displayed or disseminated without my consent or payment of compensation to me, and I release Apogaea, Inc. from any liability due to such filming, photographing or dissemination.
- I hereby appoint Apogaea, Inc. as my representative to protect my intellectual property or privacy rights, recognizing that Apogaea, Inc. has no obligation to take any such action. I understand that, in the event Apogaea, Inc. files a lawsuit to takes action to protect my intellectual property or privacy rights pursuant to the appointment in this paragraph, and Apogaea, Inc. has information that my specific intellectual property or privacy rights have been violated and also has information as to my identity and my contact information, Apogaea, Inc. will make reasonable efforts to notify me of any such action by sending a communication to the contact information in Apogaea, Inc.’s possession.
- I understand that some participants at the Apogaea event may engage in expressive activity and dress, which may include partial nudity or nudity and other types of expressive activity. I agree that such expressive activity and dress is neither indecent nor offensive to me, and that I have decided to attend the event with full knowledge that such expressive activity and dress may occur. If I am accompanied by minors at the event, I acknowledge that I have made a choice that the minors may be exposed to the expressive activities and dress that take place at the event, and that I have exercised parental or guardian responsibility and control in bringing the minors to the event. Should I find that any activity at the event is offensive to me, or to any minors accompanying me, I acknowledge that I can avoid such activity by, among other things, leaving the vicinity of the activity or leaving the event.
- I acknowledge that all vehicles including trucks, trailers and RVs entering the event are subject to search by Gate staff, for stowaways, dogs, guns, fireworks, or other prohibited items.
- I consent to have medical treatment that may be deemed advisable in the event of injury, accident and/or illness during any program, event or activity. I release Apogaea, Inc. from any and all persons participating in any such medical treatment from all responsibility for any such actions that are performed in good faith. I UNDERSTAND THAT ANY TREATMENT PROVIDED BY APOGAEA’S VOLUNTEERS IS POVIDED FOR THE EXCLUSIVE PURPOSE OF STABILIZING YOU UNTIL SUCH TIME AS YOU ARE ABLE TO GET QUALIFIED MEDICAL HELP FROM A PROFESSIONAL. NOTHING IN THIS SECTION IS INTENDED TO IMPLY THAT ANY ASSISTANCE PROVIDED IS INTENDED TO REPLACE QUALIFIED MEDICAL ADVICE.
- I understand that children under 18 years of age can attend the event only accompanied by a parent or guardian, and that if I bring a minor to the event I agree to the contractual terms contained in these Terms and Conditions on behalf of the minor.
- In the event I am obtaining tickets for, or I provide any tickets to, any other person or persons, I recognize that I am acting as that person’s agent in obtaining the tickets, and due to this agency relationship I agree to these terms on behalf of any person to whom I deliver any of the tickets I purchase, and I shall notify any such person of these terms when I deliver a ticket to them.
- I agree that Apogaea, Inc. is not liable for acts of God, the weather, strikes, protests, or actions taken by government agencies or similar causes that could impact the event and are out of the reasonable control of Apogaea, Inc.. I understand that tickets are nonrefundable even if the Event is terminated early, or entry conditions are modified, due to harsh weather, acts of nature, governmental regulation or conditions beyond Apogaea, Inc.’s control. Apogaea, Inc. will issue refunds or may otherwise offer tickets to a rescheduled event if the event as currently planned is canceled minus any expenses or expenditures incurred by Apogaea in connection with the actual purchase of the ticket or shipping fees.
- I understand that: I must bring enough food, water, shelter and first aid to survive the entire length of the event in a harsh mountain environment; that commercial vending is prohibited, as are firearms, fireworks, rockets and other explosives; that this is a LEAVE NO TRACE, pack it IN, pack it OUT event; and that I agree to contribute 2 hours of clean-up time in addition to cleaning up my own camp.
- This right to purchase a ticket, and the ticket you will receive at the gate to the event, is a revocable license that may be revoked by Apogaea, Inc. for reasonable cause including a material violation of these terms or a good faith concern with respect to safety of other participants based on your physical or mental state.
- All sales are final. No refunds or exchanges will be issued for any reason other than cancelation of the event or as otherwise expressly stated herein. Fees are non-refundable except as stated in Paragraph 19.
- Apogaea, Inc. retains the right to cancel, rescind or revoke your right to purchase tickets at any time prior to delivery of the actual tickets to the purchaser, for any reason whatsoever in Apogaea, Inc.’s sole discretion. In the event Apogaea, Inc. rescinds or revokes your right to purchase a ticket based on your conduct, you will be entitled to any refund. Your ticket will be mailed to you before the event and must be present for entry into the event. Apogaea is not responsible for lost or stolen tickets.
Will call tickets must be obtained by presenting a state issued photographic identification card that reflects the name under which you registered for a ticket. If you do not arrive at the gate with a photographic identification card that matches the name under which your right to obtain a ticket was purchased, you will not be admitted to the event and you will not be entitled to a refund of any kind.
- I agree that Apogaea event is a collaborative participatory event and not a performance or exhibition. In other words, all attendees at the Apogaea event are expected to contribute to the overall experience of the event and to actively participate in it.
In some cases, tickets are provided to individuals on an advance sale and/or discounted basis as a consequence of their membership in the corporate body of Apogaea, Inc. (“Ignition Tickets”), their agreement to construct art for the Apogaea event in exchange for an art grant (“Granted Artist Tickets”), tickets granted free of charge for winning specific contests (“Free Contest Tickets”), or on the basis of financial need (“Scholarship Tickets”). All discounted tickets issued under these or any other programs are personal to the recipient and entirely nontransferable except to an individual who would also qualify for the same ticket as the original purchaser. Apogaea, Inc. retains sole and unfettered discretion to determine a proposed transferee qualifies to receive a transferred ticket under this Paragraph. Notwithstanding the foregoing, however, that if a single individual qualifies for more than one discounted or reserved ticket addressed by this Paragraph that individual may, in accordance with the other terms and conditions set forth herein, transfer their additional ticket to another individual as described in the following paragraph. Further provided that nothing contained herein shall entitle any individual to any form of discounted or reserved ticket; all discounted and reserved tickets are granted by the Apogaea, Inc. Board of Directors
If Apogaea, Inc. has reason to believe that you have failed to comply with any requirement imposed by this Paragraph 20 then your right to obtain a ticket or your ticket may, in Apogaea, Inc.’s sole discretion, be cancelled without advance notice and, once cancelled, the right to purchase a ticket will be null and void and will not grant the holder any right to obtain an actual ticket at the gate.
If Apogaea, Inc. is required to consult with an attorney or take legal action to enforce this paragraph or defend any action taken under it, you agree to pay Apogaea Inc.’s actual attorneys’ fees and costs (without regard to any reasonableness analysis) whether or not litigation occurs and whether or not Apogaea, Inc. prevails in any such litigation. In the event this paragraph, or any portion thereof, is deemed to be void as against public policy, you agree that the paragraph will be interpreted in a manner that effectuates the intent of this paragraph to the greatest extent permitted by law.
- You will be asked to sign a liability waiver and may be asked to sign other documents as a condition of entry to the event.
- Prior to the Event you agree to read the Apogaea event rules, Leave-No-Trace rules, and current Apogaea. Inc. Survival Guide, all available at www.apogaea.com.
- These Terms and Conditions may be changed by Apogaea, Inc. prior to the event and, if so, the revised Terms and Conditions will apply to you within seven (7) days of being posted or you receiving electronic notice. If the modifications are material and would be detrimental to your legal rights, you may request a refund in writing within such seven (7) day period. Thereafter, no refunds will be permitted unless otherwise expressly permitted elsewhere in this agreement. The most current terms can be found at Apogaea, Inc.’s website.
Approved by Apogaea Board of Directors vote 5/21/17
Apogaea strives to build community and produce events that promote our Mission statement of supporting a culture of creativity and self-expression. We also promote the 10 Principles of Burning Man. Through the following Code of Conduct, we aim to promote a safe and fun environment for all participants.
- At all events organized by Apogaea, participants are responsible for their own behavior and for resolving their own issues.
- Apogaea strongly suggests behaving in a manner that does not make other participants feel unsafe or threatened.
- Apogaea will not condone any behavior that endangers its ability to hold the annual regional event and other community events.
- Participants may report any incident in which another participant is behaving in an abusive, intimidating, threatening, or unsafe manner to a Ranger or BOD member.
- Physical hazards, such as unsafe art installations or fires, should be referred to Rangers immediately.
- Children under 18 years of age can attend the regional event only if accompanied at all times by a parent, legal guardian, or other responsible party.
- At all events organized by Apogaea, participants are expected to adhere to the principles of consent regarding sexual activity and touching. Consent is reached when someone agrees, gives permission, or says "yes" to sexual activity or touching with other persons. Participants must be free to say "yes" or "no" or stop the activity at any point. A person cannot consent to sex if they are incapacitated by drugs or alcohol.
Event(s) Eviction Policy
Apogaea wishes for you to be free to create art and interact with others. Although we try to have as few rules as possible, we must have some. If you witness a violation of any of these rules, feel free to correct the situation yourself if possible. If you do not feel comfortable with that, please inform one of the Rangers (wearing a tan Ranger shirt) or someone in the Info Booth.
The following offenses will get you removed from the event:
- No ticket/wristband (all participants, no exceptions)
- Helping someone sneak into the event
- Swimming or wading in water features
- Trespassing in gas well areas
- Failure of parents to ensure minors under the age of 18 wear wristbands or file "Tiny Human Tracking Form" with Rangers
- Failing to ensure that a child for which you are responsible has proper adult supervision at all times
- Children 12 and under must under the direct control of a responsible adult at all times
- It is required that any minor (under the age of 18) at Apogaea be able to find and identify their legal guardian at all times
- Allowing a minor (under the age of 18) for whom you are responsible for to violate any of the stated event rules and regulations
- Photographing another participant without their consent or taking photos/video for commercial purposes
- Vending or commerce of any kind
- Failing to respect boundaries
- Failing to adhere to the principles of consent. Consent is reached when someone agrees, gives permission, or says "yes" to sexual activity or touching with other persons. Participants must be free to say "yes" or "no" or stop the activity at any point. A person cannot consent to sex if they are incapacitated by drugs or alcohol.
- Unsafe driving
- Malicious destruction of property
- Possession of weapons
- Possession of alcohol if under 21
- Serving alcohol to someone under 21
- Intoxicated behavior
- Disrespect of the land such as digging, felling trees or limbs, etc.
- Violating any of the fire rules
- Violation of DMV rules
- Harassing wildlife
Handheld Lasers: At Burning Man 2014, a Ranger was permanently blinded in one eye and partially blinded in the other by handheld lasers used in an irresponsible manner. For this reason handheld lasers shall not be used in any capacity at this year’s Apogaea regional event.
Stationary Lasers: Stationary lasers must be registered in advance with placement. Placement will inspect lasers upon installation. Lasers found violating these rules are not permitted. Stationary lasers must abide by FDA regulations.
Warnings and Disinvitation/Watch List Policy
Members of the Apogaea community may receive a formal warning letter or a formal letter asking them not to attend future events from the Apogaea Board of Directors. Individuals may be asked not to attend some or all Apogaea events, or asked not to volunteer, in some or all roles, with Apogaea. This may result if someone:
- Has been the subject of a pattern of reports of violating the Code of Conduct or other safety policies that endanger the event or its participants’ safety;
- Has any well-substantiated report of a sufficiently problematic violation of the Code of Conduct or other policies; and/or
- Continues problematic behavior after receiving a Warning from Apogaea about such behavior.
How does it work when people are disinvited, and added to the watch list?
- Can be instituted for one year or permanently.
- One-year terms will be reviewed by the Board of Directors or an appointed Conduct Committee annually and renewed if necessary.
- Individuals can appeal directly with the Board.
- Appeals will be handled at the next scheduled Board meeting.
- Only one appeal request per individual will be heard per year.
The Board will determine if and how to make any announcement, if such announcement would benefit the Apogaea community or other communities. This will be determined on a case by case basis.
Informing Individuals Of Their Status
- When a report has been made about an individual, they will be informed of the outcome of that report, including any actions taken.
- In the absence of an official report, the individual will be informed of the results of any investigation and resulting actions when such investigation completes. The investigation will be managed by the Board of Directors.
Inquiries About Warned/Watch-Listed Individuals
Inquiries about individuals can be made to the Board of Directors, and will be handled on a case by case basis.
Apogaea reserves the right to prevent someone from volunteering in particular capacities or any capacity.
If two individuals who wish to attend an event have restraining orders in place, it is up to the individuals to follow the orders by either not attending the event, having one individual attend the event and not the other individual, or maintaining the prescribed distance between one another at the event. In the case where a restraining order is violated at an event, this will be referred to local law enforcement.
Photography and videography are forms of radical self-expression. These policies are not meant to limit this creative expression, but to protect both artist and participant. Ask before taking photos or video of anyone. If anyone asks you to stop, be respectful and stop.
Green AMP signs indicate that photography may be occurring. If you do not wish to be photographed, these are a friendly first line of defense and transparency between photographers and other participants. Green AMP signs are available at the gate, info booth, and from our AMP volunteers.
Photography and videography is for personal use only, and commercial use must be approved by the Apogaea board. Only share photos online that you have permission to share. If you’re asked to remove a shared photo, be respectful and do so.
Ask event volunteers (AMP, rangers, etc.) if you have questions about the policy or would like to report misuse. After the event, email firstname.lastname@example.org to do the same.
Ask before you shoot! It’s a simple step to show courtesy to other participants, and you may end up with some new friends and awesome photographic art in the process. You’ll want other participants to do the same for you, lest that photo of you taking tequila shots off a bare breasted beauty end up on your grandmother’s news feed.
In the same vein, if anyone asks that you stop taking photos or video, you should be respectful and do so immediately. If someone is being scandalous and won’t stop when asked by you or others, don’t take that kinda crap! Stand your ground just as you would with other personal boundaries. Find a Ranger, AMP volunteer, or pretty much anyone with a radio and let us know about the situation.
So please, exercise your right to self-expression through photos and video! Just take a second to tap your subject on the shoulder before capturing and ask if they mind.
AMP Volunteers and Signage
AMP will be creating signs that can be stuck in the ground, or hung off a camera (or maybe even drone!) in our soon-to-be-signature neon green. These will be available at the gate, info booth, and from our AMP volunteers walking the event. They should be used by any camp or individual that will incorporate photo or video as a first step in transparency between photographer and subject.
“What are these signs all about? If I have one can I just take pictures of anything without asking permission?”
NO. These signs are not blanket permission slips. You still should ask before you shoot. But let’s say you have a photo or video based art installation at your camp. You can put one of these signs out front of your camp to let people know that photography may be happening in your camp. But you should still give them a friendly heads up when they come in.
If you’re a participant and you don’t want to be photographed, this doesn’t mean you should avoid these signs and areas like the plague—what it means is you should be aware of your surroundings and ask questions. Just as the photographer should be asking for your consent, if you see a sign but not an obvious camera, dig a little deeper to protect not only your own personal boundaries but the boundaries of others as well. Take responsibility for your own image.
If you’re walking the event with a still or video camera, like that go pro on your hula hoop, you can grab an AMP keyring sign to hang off your camera strap or belt loop as a simple notification of your intentions.
AMP Volunteers will be walking the event several times throughout the week taking photos and videos of granted art, workshops, theme camps, and everything Apogaea for our archives, newsletter, and website. They’ll also be there to educate folks about the policies, help participants who report any disrespectful behavior, and get your thoughts about all this stuff!
Post Event Policies
What can I do with my images after the event?
Material shot at Apo is for personal use only—not for commercial purposes. That means personal websites, profiles and blogs are great. We’re also cool with art exhibits and photo-sharing sites like Flickr, Picasa, and Instagram.
When sharing images you MUST do one of two things. (Yes, even on Facebook!)
- Copy and paste this notice that the pictures are for personal use only: “These images are only for personal use and not for any other purpose. Downloading or copying of the images is prohibited.”
- List the images under the Creative Commons BY-NC-SA license, Attribution-Noncommercial-ShareAlike.
If your images/video contain human nudity, partial nudity or sexually suggestive poses they must be tagged “personal use only” and may NOT be listed under Creative Commons.
As a secondary courtesy, leave that album or youtube video unlisted and share the link with Apogaea community groups to give parties that may have changed their mind the chance to have their photo or tag removed before it goes live to the public. In the event someone asks you to remove a photo or video, do it! Don’t make me blackmail you with sending that tequila pic to your grandma. Just kidding. But seriously, take it down, blur their image, use a voice disguiser, just please, don’t let my grandma see that picture.
What happens if you see a picture or image of yourself you don’t approve of? Ask the artist to take it down! Do your due diligence to protect your own likeness and track them down and ask them politely to remove it. If they don’t want to be respectful of your boundaries, email us at email@example.com. If Apogaea, Inc. asks you to remove a photo, that big legal terms-and-conditions page says you have to (in super serious legal words). Don’t make us get the lawyers.
Submit to the Apogaea Archives
If you want to share copies of your photo with Apogaea for our archives and use on the website, in our newsletter, etc., you can! We need photos of every aspect of the event from burn nights to more mundane (but equally vital) things like ice sales and gate/greeters. Just be super sure you got permission from everyone in your photos -- the last thing we want is to put someone’s photo in the Survival Guide, have 2000 hard copies printed and then find out they didn’t give permission for their photo to be taken, because that would suck, and not in a sexy consensual way. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
Selling photos, or using photos or video to sell a product (even if that product is you!) are examples of commercial use. We love that you have a business making and selling hula-hoops, but you must get approval before using photos from Apo on your company site or Etsy store. Email email@example.com and we’ll make sure the board sees it. It can’t hurt to ask!
Approved by Apogaea Board of Directors vote 5/21/17
Apogaea, Inc. recognizes that many community members and volunteers participate in social media services for their own personal use and often, to discuss Apogaea, Burning Man and personal experiences within the culture. This accessibility and discourse contributes to the important long-term tradition and continuing evolution of the community.
Strong interpersonal bonds create an even stronger community. To help community members, our culture’s leaders, to engage within social networks and online communication without inadvertently causing any undue harm to Apogaea, Inc., the Burning Man Project or your fellow Burners, we’ve crafted a set of basic guidelines for social media and outlined a public social media policy. We intend these guidelines and policy to foster accurate communication and strengthen relationships through transparency of expectations.
General Social Media Policy
Apogaea, Inc. has a responsibility to maintain this space for the benefit of all visitors. The posts and comments made on our social media sites will have the power to add to or detract from Apogaea’s overall message. It is our responsibility to create online communication that enhances the experience of participants and visitors.
Post & Comment Guidelines
- In general any posts that are obvious spam or commercial events will be deleted and the poster will be warned. (Theme camp fundraisers and Burner-ish free parties are not spam and will not be deleted.)
- Our moderators will remove posts and comments they believe are counter to civil discourse.
- Moderators may remove the following categories of comments and/or posts at their discretion:
- Personal attacks or rumors (posts and/or comments) that are detrimental or disruptive to Apogaea and/or its volunteers, participants, or the community
- Controversial statements related to the organization, its participants or the community
- Off topic or unrelated to the organization’s or community’s activities
- Spam (posts containing more than one URL or unrelated URL are considered spam)
- Inaccurate information (this information may also be corrected in comments or additional posts from official sources such as Arthur Flame/Flaming Art)
- Unnecessarily inflammatory language or posts attacking a point of view
- Abusive language targeted to any groups (ethnic, racial, religious, class-related, ect.)
- Content that knowingly violates the copyright, trademark or trade secret of any individual or entity
- Repeat offenders or known trolls (Moderators may choose to permanently ban the IP addresses of these individuals from the forum.)
- If questions arise about a moderator’s decision on social media guidelines or policy enforcement, contact the Communications Team by emailing Telemetry@Apogaea.com and IT@Apogaea.com. If you would like to further discussion the decision or have policy-related questions, contact the Board of Directors by emailing MissionControl@Apogaea.com.
“Turning Off” Comments
- Moderators may choose, at times, to turn off the comments feature on a specific post due to a variety of factors including subject matter, web traffic patterns and timing. Feel free to trackback and post your thoughts if comments on that entry are “turned on” at a later time.
- Although moderators have discretion to turn off comments at any time, they will try to avoid doing so mid-conversation and will avoid doing so if possible.
- Moderators, Telemetry and IT may determine a standard operating procedure and timeframe for “turning off” comments on older posts to focus moderator efforts on contemporary conversations.
- All edits, post removals and user actions are at the sole discretion of our moderators and are subject to appeal only if you can establish to their satisfaction that the decision should be reversed. Otherwise, post-removal decisions are final.
- Board members are not forum moderators. Moderators are members of Ignition. Moderators will inform the Board of any policy-related issues arising out of social media communication and may consult with Board members regarding edits, post removals and user actions. Community members may discuss social media issues or appeals with the Apogaea Board of Directors. Board members will consult with moderators regarding such discussions.
- If your post or comment has been edited, removed or comments “turned off”, you may repost the same information or opinion if you have remedied the issue leading to the moderator’s decision. Whether you have satisfactorily remedied the issue is up to the sole discretion of the moderator.
“Why can’t I express myself all over Apogaea’s social media?/What about Free Speech???”
Apogaea supports radical self-expression. As the Burning Man Project’s social media comment policy states, “We firmly believe you have the right to host what you want on your own website (so long, of course, as it doesn’t violate anyone else’s legal rights) – and we have that right too. Thus, if one of the things we don’t want on our site is your comment, we reserve the right to simply remove it. Our aim is to be as hands-off as possible and let you enjoy a spirited dialogue, but we retain the right and responsibility to maintain this space in the manner consistent with the atmosphere we hope to create for visitors.” Your posts and comments will not be censored just because we disagree with your opinion.
Updates to Social Media Guidelines & Policy
This is a living document that may be updated at any time. The Board of Directors will approve by vote these guidelines and policy and any subsequent updates to their terms. We welcome your help in upholding these policies.
General Post & Comment Guidelines (for posting to social media sites)
- In general any posts that are obvious spam or commercial events will be deleted and the poster will be warned. (Things such as theme camp fundraisers and Burner-ish free parties will not be deleted.)
- Our moderators will remove posts and comments they believe are counter to civil discourse.
- Personal attacks and rumors (posts and/or comments) that are detrimental to Apogaea and/or its volunteers, participants, or the community will be deleted.
- We reserve the right to stop and or delete comments on a thread that are controversial and/or go severely off topic.
Remote controlled aircraft, helicopters & multicopters (aka UAV, UAS, or Drones) are becoming more and more popular at Apogaea. The policy is meant to find a balance between the artist/drone operator while ensuring the safety, consent, and appropriateness of operating a drone at Apogaea.
Burning Man has an existing policy for drones that encompasses all RCA (Remote Controlled Aircraft). The Apogaea drone policy will closely mirror BM Drone Policy as applicable.
Drone Rules Of Operation
- Pre-registration is absolutely required.
- On-site briefing is required to obtain tags for operator, transmitter and drone.
- Tags for operators (wrist bands), and stickers for transmitters and drones are required.
- You must secure a safe place to take off, land, and emergency land.
- RC pilots are financially liable for any harm or damage caused during the event. Liability insurance is strongly encouraged.
- Apogaea video/photography consent policies apply.
- No first person view flying. Line of Sight must be maintained at all times.
- Maximum altitude is 400’ above ground per FAA rules. Minimum altitude is 25’ above ground.
- Flying over crowds is prohibited and a minimum of 25’ horizontal from people not involved with the drone operation is required.
- Only visual line of sight flying per FAA rules. Long distance flying is prohibited.
- Flying near emergency, police and fire personnel is prohibited.
- Flying is prohibited during any scheduled Temple Ceremonies.
- Maintain a distance of 100’ from power lines, power poles, and wells.
- A spotter is required while flying, to watch for obstacles, onlookers, etc.
- Only registered drones are permitted to fly.
- Registration can be revoked for duration of the event for unsafe flying or violating Apo Drone Policy, AMA, or FAA rules.
- Flying is prohibited during strong winds, dust storms, from a moving vehicle, or at night (unless equipped with adequate navigation lights per AMA/FAA rules).
- No operating RC aircraft while intoxicated. If you are deemed intoxicated to the point that you are “illegal to drive” you may not fly.
- No use of ham bands including 433, 600, 900 MHz and 1.3 GHz unless a current Technician, General, or Amateur Extra License is shown.
- No amplified systems, for example: Dragonlink.
- If a pilot is acting in an unsafe manner then Apogaea Rangers have the authority to revoke drone registration by removing tags on transmitted, drone, and wristband.
- If a crashed craft is found it will be transferred to Apogaea Rangers.